Posts tagged philly
Posts tagged philly
I have to say, Dirty Frank’s delighted me, because not only was the special was both irresponsibly cheap and surprisingly fruity, but it’s also referenced in one of my favorite standup bits ever told while sitting down. Nobody else took my reference.
Anyway, I got real drunk, but a particular kind of drunk where you wake up with a sleepy hangover and a bunch of new friends. A MaxFunCon kind of drunk, which is the best kind.
So. Earlier this week, Hodgman posted on Tumblr about a meetup after his show at Temple. The time and place were roughly set to 10ish and Bob and Barbara’s on South Street. They actually ended up being 11ish and Dirty Frank’s. This had the unintended effect of uniting everyone attending, because we’d all been hanging out in seperate little clusters at Bob and Barbara’s and were delighted to recognise all the same people with cool clothes and hair at the second venue. (You really must admit, our clothes and hair are all inescapably cool.)
These are my favorite pictures from this week’s Tight Six.
Caitlin watching the show
Dan Scully about to sing into the secondary mic (no band or recorded music in the second half of the show—all intros and exits were a cappella)
Brandon sitting down and yelling for pretty much his whole set, in a picture that looks like a buzz marketing campaign for Fergie’s Pub and Narragansett
19. Joe Bell
20. Mike Alloy
21. Mikey Garcia
22. Alex Pearlman
23. Garret Smith
24. ROCKING HORSE!!!!!!
11. Brandon T. Gorin
12. Brandon T. Gorin again, staring directly into the withered soul of anyone looking at this captured image
13. Pete Steele
14. There is a rocking horse on stage, by the way
15. Aaron Nevins
17. Dan Vetrano
18. Alex Grubard
Tonight, I went to the awesome open mic No. 2 (#2) (Number 2) at St. Stephen’s Green, went up fourth and did a short set because I didn’t actually realize I had way more time than I used. I did realize that, for someone aiming in the general direction of whimsy, I sure do write a lot of stuff about violence and murder and horror. Huh.
Anyway, I got tired and left after about 2 hours into the show, but I did take some sweet pics. I don’t actually know everyone’s name on here.
1. The band opening up, being all smoldering and guitar-weilding
2. Robert X in character as the man who invented Twitter, with a portable speaker he used to go into the crowd and rap about Twitter
7. Bobby Lorello
8. Again with the Bobby Lorello
9. I swear, I could not get an unblurred pic of Chris O’Connor the whole time
21. Chris O’Connor taking over for Aaron on guitar
22. Carolanne Mitchell
23. Carolanne again, but with more attitude
24. The remainder of the Tight Six crew, closing out the show
25. The Spicy Angels
26. Things were getting kind of loopy at this point
27. Hey, Matt Pass!
28. Joe Murdock singing a downbeat version of the Flintstones theme song onstage after everybody left
Apologies for any fuck-ups and misattributions. I’m only a human.
11. Ruben Kramer
12. Pete Steele, obscured in a halo
13. Matt Pass, all like, whatever
14. David Piccalomini with a ghost hand
15. Jared Rissoto (Apologies for fucking the spelling up, probably)
16. Mikey summoning Caitlin Feeney to the stage
17. Caitlin at the drums
18. Jon Lalu
19. Jon Lalu again
20. For some reason, I got really good shots of Jon Lalu
1. Garret Smith (or Fuck yeah Batman!)
2. Rachel Fogletto, a goddess
3. The calm storm, Robert X
4. Rick Robotin
5. Geoff Jackson
6. Joe Bell, hosting it up
7. Out of phase Joe, and Aaron Nevins and Mickey Garcia as the house band whose clever name I’ve entirely forgotten
8. Mike Alloy, back again!
9. Mike Logan, looking—dare I say—dapper
10. Joe Murdock
My parents bought me a camera from a Louisiana pawn shop for my birthday last year. I lost it almost immediately. When I went back home last week, it had been found and was returned to me.
So, last Sunday I took a bunch of pictures during the latter half of one of my favorite open mics, Tight Six. It was mostly because I was going up second to last and had a new toy to play with, and mostly the pics were blurry garbage. Some of them kind of aren’t.
Here we go…